Puppy School: Day Training Program
Drop off Program offered on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays between 9:00am and 2:00pm.
Sessions scheduled on an individual basis for two hours of time.
***PLEASE NOTE AS OF JUNE 1st OUR DAY TRAINING LOCATION IS MOVING TO JB’S INDOOR PARK,
LOCATED AT 106 LONGWOOD DR, NORWELL, MA 02061.***
EMAIL us at firstname.lastname@example.org to enroll
PUPPIES ARE A LOT OF WORK! But WE can help!
It takes a lot of time and energy to raise a puppy! They are very cute, but did anyone tell you about their puppy shark teeth? Ouch! How do you manage and redirect puppy biting and make sure it is not continued into adulthood? How do you start training the basics at this young age? Good name response and attention is crucial! And what about socialization? How do you provide the right exposure to new environments, stimuli, people, sights and sounds, and other dogs safely?
WHAT IS SOCIALIZATION?
Most people when they think of puppy socialization as puppy play. Socialization is actually so much more than just play time! According to the American Veterinary Association of Animal Behavior,
“The first three months are the period when sociability outweighs far, this is the primary window of opportunity for puppies to adapt to new people, animals, and experiences. Incomplete or improper socialization during this important time can increase the risk of behavioral problems later in life…”
The most important thing is to provide different experiences for your puppy, and doing so at their own comfort level/speed. Forcing a puppy to do something even though they are scared can lead to a fearful puppy. Puppies will learn to trust you through positive and safe exposures and you’ll then be able to help them grow their confidence.
YOUR PUPPY’S VERY OWN TRAINING AND SOCIALIZATION PROGRAM!
Every puppy is different. Some puppies love people so much, they need help being taught other behaviors besides jumping on people. Others are a little shy and need to have great experiences at their own pace to help build their confidence. We work with your puppy, at their own pace, and focus on key things your puppy needs! With a combination of training, introducing handling like being comfortable with paws, ears, and puppy settles, exposure to other social puppies, exploration of different surfaces and obstacles, your puppy will have a blast while learning and then come home nice and tired!
PUPPY SCHOOL 3 SESSION PROGRAM AIMS TO INTRODUCE THE FOLLOW:
- Attention Cues – name response, nose touch/hand target, eye contact
- Jumping up Management – rewarding for sit and “four on the floor”, tethered greetings, and using the OFF cue
- Body Positions – sit, lay down, and stand up
- Go to place/mat behavior
- Concept of wait and release – wait for a treat, wait at the door, and wait for the food bowl
- Loose Leash Walking
- Puppy Handling skills – ears, paws, brushing
- Appropriate Play with toys and the drop it cue
- Appropriate Interactions with other puppies
PUPPY SCHOOL 6 SESSION PROGRAM AIMS TO INTRODUCE AND PRACTICE THE FOLLOW:
- All topics covered in the 3 session program
- Duration of sit, down and stand up
- Continued loose leash walking – side/heel position, and a let’s go walking cue
- Teaching a go say hi cue for short, appropriate greetings
- Introduction of the Stay cue (move away from dog holding position)
- Introduction of the Leave It cue (don’t go near an object/item/etc.)
- Teaching a Settle Down cue (down stay until released)
PUPPY SCHOOL 9 SESSION PROGRAM INTRODUCES AND PRACTICES ALL SKILLS COVERED IN THE 6 SESSION PROGRAM AND OFFERS COMPLETION OF THE AMERICAN KENNEL CLUB S.T.A.R. PUPPY PROGRAM!
Owners will receive training PDFs and video links of their own puppy in training. They are expected to work with their puppy based off of these materials for at least 3 – 15 minutes of training per day.
It is recommended that after the completion of puppy school, the owner and dog continue training together either with a group class OR private training. In general we recommend continued training for at least the first year you have a new dog. Consistency and dedication on your part is required in order to have a successfully trained pup!
STARTER BUNDLE – 3 day training sessions – $299
three day training sessions/once a week for three weeks
PRO BUNDLE – 6 day training sessions – $569
six day training sessions/once a week for three weeks
OR twice a week for three weeks
S.T.A.R. PUPPY BUNDLE – 9 day training sessions – $810
nine day training sessions/once a week for nine weeks
OR twice a week for three weeks then weekly for three weeks
OR three times a week for three weeks
This bundle offers completion of the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program as well!
We recommend pairing our day training program with private training for optimal results! We offer packages which include day training sessions
AND a one hour “transfer of skills session” with the owner and dog at the end of the day training program!
PACKAGE PRICING (DAY TRAINING SESSIONS & TRANSFER SESSION)
STARTER PACKAGE – $449 – three day training sessions & one hour in person transfer session
PRO PACKAGE – $709 – six day training sessions & one hour in person transfer session
S.T.A.R. PUPPY PACKAGE – $944 – nine day training sessions & one hour in person transfer session
Additional transfer sessions (private training sessions with owner and dog) can be purchased for $135/session if started within two weeks of completion of puppy school! (Private training sessions usually sold for $155/hr session.)
Training Supplies Included in the above prices – Freedom No Pull OR Sense-ation Harness, Training Clicker, Treat Apron, Sample of High Value Treats, an indoor training leash, Training PDFs, and our PAWS Training Manual!
WE REQUIRE THE FOLLOWING FOR EVERY PUPPY:
- An exam with your veterinarian.
- At least one vaccination for distemper and parvo virus 7 days prior to starting.
- A fecal test result from your veterinarian’s office.
- We recommend the Bordetella or kennel cough vaccination.
- Staying up to date on their vaccination schedule as recommended by your veterinarian.
- Proof of rabies can be submitted once completed. Note: it is normal for puppies to start school without this vaccination on board. It usually is not given until around 16 weeks of age.
Proof must be provided via email to email@example.com prior to your puppy starting school.
Puppies in day training or group classes may not have received all of their vaccinations yet. If you are concerned about this, speak to your veterinarian. Every day that goes by without socializing and training for young pup is a day lost to his or her social future – register today!
We follow the guidelines for socialization put out by the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior – please view their statement here.
WHAT TO BRING OTHER THAN YOUR PUPPY:
- Zip lock bag with their “breakfast or lunch”, and at least two different types of treats.
- A “mat” such as a blanket, towel, or bath mat for their specific go to place behavior.
- Kong or other stuffable food toy stuffed with either puppy wet food, peanut butter, or yogurt mixed with kibble.